9:30 and It's Pretty Much Dark
Hello one and all (that would be both of my readers). Sorry for the long delay in posting. I have been waiting to post again until I could share some pictures, which I hope to do soon. But not today, alas.
Alaska is still quite lovely - it has been rainier (?more rainy?) than I expected, with some gorgeously sunny days in between that make me itch to get outside and play. The temperature has cooled considerably - a light jacket is needed on most days, and nights are getting down in the 40s. The days are getting shorter - the sun's not up until 6:30 or so in the morning, and it's pretty much across the horizon by 9:30, a noticeable difference from when I arrived back in August and needed sunglasses if I was driving around before 10 p.m.
On a more personal note, I have finally (!) settled on an apartment. It is unfurnished, which leaves me contemplating whether to set up my tent in the living room just so it is not quite so glaringly empty. I did at least purchase a mattress set, so I will not need to sleep in the tent in the living room. Although, you have to admit, the idea does have some appeal.
In any case, starting next week you can find me in downtown Anchorage, close to the "park strip" (a park, not a club) and the coastal trail. I'm on the hunt for a bike, and REI will even put snow tires on it for you. Imagine that. If I get adventurous, I may try biking to work. Especially on Fridays when, as I like to remind my firm friends, everyone is in jeans. BTW, I see people in jeans on other days too but I have not yet had the courage to wear jeans to work on a non-Friday. Stay tuned. :)

1 Comments:
Studded snow tires for your bike? Views from the parking lot that mirror views from a trail-head, as The Josh-Man says? Why exactly are you flying back to DC so often?
Post a Comment
<< Home